Most popular football matches, including Champions League and Premier League games, are shown on either Sky Sports or BT Sport. But which provider has the most matches? And how much does it cost to watch?
What football can I watch on Sky Sports?
Sky Sports shows more Premier League matches than any other broadcaster. It also covers Championship football, League One and League Two, the Capital One Cup, Scottish League matches, the International Champions Cup, Eredivisie, Copa Del Ray, MLS and more.
However, if you want to watch UEFA Champions League and Europa League games, you'll need to sign up for BT Sport.
Can I add Sky Sports to my TV package?
You can add Sky Sports to TV packages from Virgin Media, TalkTalk, BT and NOW Broadband.
Here's how you get it:
- Sky - Sports can be added to any Sky TV package, or as part of a bundle. You can add one, two or three channels, or get everything with the Complete Bundle - that also includes the Sky Main Event channel, which has the biggest games. You also get Sky Go, which lets you watch live and catch-up content from the channels you subscribe to online or on your phone.
- Virgin Media - You can add Sky Sports to any Virgin Media TV package. It’s also included as standard in the VIP bundle - which also includes BT Sport, incidentally. In short, Virgin Media’s a great way to get everything in one place.
- TalkTalk - You can get Sky Sports as a ‘Boost’ to any TalkTalk TV package. TalkTalk Boosts operate on a rolling monthly basis so you can cancel any time - great if you want to save money during months when there isn’t much football on.
- BT - You can get Sky Sports Main Event and Main Event Extra through BT, but only if you have BT Superfast Fibre and a fast enough connection. That’s fewer channels than the other providers - but fortunately, Sky Sports 1 and 2 both show loads of football.
- NOW Broadband - One of the more flexible ways to get Sky Sports, NOW Broadband offers daily, weekly and monthly passes for Sky Sports. Even better, you can now get broadband with NOW Broadband, both no-contract and pay monthly.
Find out more about cheap Sky Sports deals here.
What football can I watch on BT Sport?
BT Sport airs 52 live Premier League matches a season, plus exclusive UK TV rights to the UEFA Champions and Europa Leagues.
BT also offers top flight football from both the UK and around the world, including National League, League Cup, A-League, Bundesliga, Serie A and Ligue 1.
Can I add BT Sport to my TV package?
You can watch BT Sport on all major pay-TV platforms, including Virgin Media, Sky and TalkTalk. But in some cases you will need to contact BT itself to get it.
- BT - The full suite of BT Sport channels, including ESPN, is available with any BT TV package. If you have a snazzy 4K TV, you can also get BT Sport in Ultra HD with the Max package. If you have BT Broadband, but don’t want TV, you can watch BT Sport online or via smartphone / tablet app for an additional monthly charge.
- Virgin Media - You can add BT Sport to any Virgin Media TV package. It’s also included as standard in some bundles, such as the VIP Bundles. However you get it, you’ll be able to watch matches on TV, and on tablets or smartphones via the Virgin TV Anywhere app.
- Sky - You can watch BT Sport on Sky, but you can’t get it through Sky directly or pre-bundled with a package. Instead, you need to sign up for it separately - simply contact BT when your Sky TV service is up and running. Find out more here.
- TalkTalk - Like Sky, you can watch BT Sport on TalkTalk, but only by signing up via BT directly. It’s also not currently available in HD. To get it, simply sign up via BT’s website once your TalkTalk TV service is active. Find out more here.