Virgin Media is one of the most comprehensive TV providers out there. It has loads of channels, a dizzying amount of on-demand box sets, catch-up TV and more.
Read on, and we’ll talk about what you can get from Virgin Media, what we like and don’t like about it, and how to find the best deal.
What can I get from Virgin Media TV?
Regardless of whether you pick a three-in-one bundle or just get TV on its own, the TV component will be one of the following:
- Big bundle - Gives you 110+ channels thanks to Mixit TV, including all the essential free-to-air ones and a selection in HD. Plus you get catch-up TV, and the option to add Sky Sports, BT Sport and Sky Cinema as extras at additional cost.
- Bigger Bundle - Bags you 230+ channels, including pretty much every UK channel you can think of and 45 of them in HD. There's even more entertainment, on demand TV, documentaries, and kids’ shows.
- Bigger + movies bundle - Movie fan? This is the package for you. It comes with over 250 channels, including Sky Cinema and BT Sport.
- Bigger + sports bundle - Comes with a whopping 240+ channels along with BT Sport and Sky Sports to boot.
- Bigger + sports + movies bundle - You won't get much bigger than this: over 260 channels including BT Sport, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema.
These take the best of Big Bundles and add a 4G SIM and faster broadband. In the event of a home broadband outage, Virgin Media will waive usage restrictions on the SIM, so you've got a back-up service to ensure you can still get online.
Customers who take the Ultimate Oomph package can also book next-day appointments for engineers if there's a problem with their service.
Here's a selection of Oomph bundles to give you a sense of what you get:
- Ultimate Oomph bundle - Includes two V6 boxes, 260+ channels, 516Mbps broadband, landline with Talk Anytime and a 4G SIM with unlimited data.
- Bigger Oomph bundle - Includes single V6 box, 225 channels, 362Mbps broadband, landline with Talk Weekends and a 4G SIM with 5GB of data per month.
All Big Bundle and Oomph packages come with a 1TB V6 box, which offers enough space for 500 hours of standard TV and lets you record up to six shows at once.
It also has the benefit of being faster than the 500GB box, with a better search function and 4K capability.
All Virgin Media TV customers also get the Virgin TV Go service as standard. Available on computers, smartphones and tablets, this lets you watch live TV, catch-up and on-demand shows whenever you want - even if you’re outside the house. Plus it lets you remotely set recordings and see what’s saved on your set top box.
What channels do I get with Virgin Media TV?
Virgin Media is one of the most comprehensive TV services out there, encompassing sports, movies, entertainment, kids’ shows, movies, documentaries and more on demand content than you can shake a stick at.
Of course, the channels you get depends on the TV package or bundle you have. Some will be included already, while others can be added on - for an extra cost, naturally.
You can see an up-to-date list of channels on Virgin Media’s website, but here’s how to get some of the most popular options:
If you’re an armchair sportsman, don’t worry - you can get all ten Sky Sports channels with Virgin Media. It’s available as an add-on to all packages that you can subscribe to at any time, but it’s also included in some Big bundles and Big Oomph bundles.
If you’d like to find out more about Sky Sports and how to get it, check out our guide.
BT Sport is available on Virgin Media TV. As with Sky Sports, it's available on select Big bundles and Oomph bundles, as well as by signing up for a rolling-contract BT Sport add-on.
Virgin Media has a few movie channels, plus a pay-to-view box office service, but if you’re a devotee of the silver screen, you really need Sky Cinema. It has many of the latest blockbusters, indie hits, and foreign films well before any other TV service.
You can add Cinema to any TV package at any time with a Personal Pick, or get it included as standard with select Big bundles and Oomph bundles. To read more about Cinema and how to get it, switch over to our guide.
The Mix, Maxit, and VIP TV packages all include Sky entertainment channels, including Sky One, Sky Two, Sky Witness and Sky Arts.
Unfortunately, Sky Atlantic, which shows hot US imports like Game of Thrones and is arguably the jewel in the broadcaster’s crown, isn’t available on Virgin Media.
Virgin Media has a huge amount of on demand content available, including hours-worth of TV box sets, music videos, catch-up TV and more.
You can also watch Netflix, iPlayer, and YouTube on your V6 set top box. For more, read our full guide to on demand TV.
And check out our complete guide to Virgin Media TV channels.
What’s good about Virgin Media TV?
- Decent selection of channels, including BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 and Sky channels
- Can pause, rewind and record live TV with V6 set top box
- TV add-ons are available on flexible 30-day rolling contracts
- Great for sports fans - all Sky Sports and BT Sport channels available
- With Sky Cinema and box office films available, it’s good for film buffs
- Catch-up TV, including BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5, available with all packages
- Thousands of hours of on demand TV box sets and music videos that you can watch any time
- Netflix, YouTube and loads more apps available on V6 box
- Virgin TV Go free with all TV packages - watch live TV and on demand shows on phone and PC
- Can set recordings and manage your V6 storage remotely via web browser or smartphone
- Available with Virgin Media fibre optic broadband - the fastest speeds available in the UK
- Special offers regularly available - compare packages to see what’s around right now
What’s bad about Virgin Media TV?
- One of the more expensive subscription TV services in the UK
- Limited availability for broadband and TV bundles - you’ll need to check your postcode to make sure Virgin Media operates in your area.
- V6 box interface is a little clunky
- Cheapest option doesn’t contain any Sky entertainment channels, making it not massively superior to standard Freeview
- No Sky Atlantic available, so no Game of Thrones or other hot US shows exclusive to the channel
- The on-demand box sets that you can watch are dependent on your package - some listed may be unavailable
Our latest Virgin Media TV deals
*Average speeds are based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time(8pm to 10pm). Speed can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed to your property prior to purchasing.
What else can I get from Virgin Media?
Want more than just telly? Here's what else Virgin Media offers: