TalkTalk has had its problems, particularly around customer service, but if you want a budget broadband offering some good broadband deals, it’s well worth a look
Is TalkTalk any good?
TalkTalk broadband keeps things simple and includes the essentials like unlimited downloads and landline. Moreover, its internet packages and TV bundles are among the most affordable in the UK. Which is one of its main selling points.
But there is a question mark over customer service. And despite TalkTalk trying to make improvements, the customer service still isn’t highly rated.
Is TalkTalk broadband cheap?
TalkTalk packages are among the most affordable in the UK. Moreover, it’s one of the cheapest ways to get subscription TV in the UK. And the provider offers regular discounts on broadband contracts.
Is TalkTalk broadband unlimited?
Yes, unlimited broadband is included with all broadband packages, which means it's good for busy families and heavy-data users.
And you can download as much as you like - no need to worry about your usage.
Can I bundle broadband with TV?
Yes, you can. In fact, it’s one of the cheapest ways to get subscription TV in the UK:
Here's how to bundle your broadband and TV with TalkTalk:
- YouView: Your YouView set top box combines Freeview TV with streaming on-demand services and catch-up TV
- TV Boost: You can get extra channels on a flexible rolling monthly basis. Available boosts include TV Select (extra entertainment channels) and Kids Boost (kids' TV channels). You can also get Sky Cinema for blockbuster movies, Sky Sports, and BT Sport - and you can cancel those channels at any time.
Can I get a home phone?
Yes. All TalkTalk broadband packages include a landline. You can add a more comprehensive call plan to your package.
Call options include: anytime calls and international calls.
Can I get fibre optic broadband?
Yes, though it’s not the fastest fibre optic offering (see Virgin Media).
TalkTalk's Fibre 35 and Fibre 65 packages offer average speeds of 38Mbps or 67Mbps respectively. TalkTalk also offers Fibre 150, with average speeds of 145Mbps – though is not available in all areas of the UK.
Each package includes: unlimited downloads, line rental, internet security, a Wi-Fi Hub, and the option to add TV.
What’s good about TalkTalk?
Like the sound of TalkTalk broadband? Here’s some reasons why it might be for you:
- Simple and affordable broadband and TV packages
- One of the cheapest ways to get subscription TV in the UK
- Unlimited broadband - perfect for large families or heavy users who want peace of mind that they can use the internet as much as they like
- Superfast fibre packages perfect for streaming movies and TV online, downloading music, and gaming
- TV is very flexible - can add extra channels on a monthly basis, and cancel extras at any time. Sky channels, including Sky One, Sky Arts and Sky Witness included with Plus TV packages; Sky Sports and Sky Cinema available as add-ons
- Can access Netflix, and subscription can be included as part of your TalkTalk bill if you wish
- TV2Go app included with all TV packages - lets you watch on-demand content and some live channels on smartphone and tablet (requires Wi-Fi connection)
- HomeSafe network-level security included as standard with all broadband
- Special offers and exclusive deals regularly available
What’s bad about TalkTalk?
- TalkTalk fibre optic broadband is unavailable in some areas - use our postcode checker to see if you can get it
- Can’t get standalone broadband, only as part of a package with a phone line
- Faster broadband available from other providers, such as Virgin Media
- TalkTalk TV has fewer channels than Sky or Virgin Media
- Can’t record TV with the basic TV package
- Weaker customer service than other providers, according to Ofcom customer satisfaction data
- Long contracts - 18 months is the only contract length available
As you can see, TalkTalk broadband has a lot going for it. For starters, it’s one of the cheapest ways to get unlimited broadband - especially fibre.
Moreover, it offers straightforward and simple broadband packages and often release special offers which make prices even cheaper.
That said, you won’t get the super-fast speeds that Virgin Media offers, and there’s no cloud storage or Wi-Fi hotspot access to BT, either. And, as we say, according to Ofcom – as well as numerous customers – the customer service isn’t great.
Our latest TalkTalk broadband deals
*Average speeds are based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time(8pm to 10pm). Speed can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed to your property prior to purchasing.
What else does TalkTalk do?
Read more about what TalkTalk has to offer:
- TalkTalk TV
- TalkTalk home phone
- TalkTalk TV Boosts
- YouView on TalkTalk
- TalkTalk deals and offers
- All TalkTalk packages
How much is TalkTalk broadband?
As you'd expect for a supplier that's marketed as a 'value' provider, TalkTalk deals are among the UK's cheaper offerings.
However, it's not he cheapest, with that honour generally going to Shell Energy or Plusnet, whose standard, ADSL broadband prices usually come in at under £20 per month.
On a budget? Take a look at our pick of the standout cheap broadband deals.
Can I get TalkTalk broadband in my area?
TalkTalk is one of the UK’s biggest broadband providers, so there’s a good chance you can get it in your area. However, there are still some areas where it is unavailable.
To find out if it’s available where you live, enter your postcode into our postcode checker, below:
Compare broadband deals in your area
What speeds can I get with TalkTalk broadband?
Similar to BT, TalkTalk offers a selection of fast broadband packages. They are available in three download speeds.
- Fast Broadband: average download speeds of 11Mbps
- Fibre 35: fibre optic, average download speeds of 38Mbps
- Fibre 65: average download speeds of 67Mbps
- Fibre 150: 145Mbps (only available in select UK locations)
Most broadband providers offer similar speeds - they’re identical to what you get from Sky, Plusnet, and EE, for instance - though you can get much, much faster from Virgin Media.
The speed you'll actually get on your line can vary a lot, however, depending on where you live. TalkTalk will give you a speed estimate for your address when you sign up.
In the market for a quicker broadband service? Compare our selection of fast broadband deals.
What TalkTalk broadband packages can I get?
TalkTalk does it all: you can get unlimited broadband in your choice of speed, home phone packages, and even add on TV with the channels you like:
- Unlimited broadband at different speeds - choose between standard broadband with its Fast Broadband package, or get a faster, more expensive fibre service with Fibre 35, Fibre 65 or Fibre 150 Fibre.
- All TalkTalk broadband includes a TalkTalk phone line - regular home phone users can add a different call plan to their package - such as anytime calls and cheaper ways to make international calls.
- Option to bundle with TalkTalk TV - combine your TV, broadband and phone services together
- Homesafe network level security - you also get TalkTalk SuperSafe internet security for one device as standard, with the option to expand the protection to up to eight devices for an additional charge.
Not sure TalkTalk is for you? Take a look at a wider range of providers and deals.
How long will it take to switch to TalkTalk broadband?
Switching to TalkTalk usually takes about two weeks, but the process may take longer if installation is required.
When the switchover is taking place, you're only likely to be without an internet connection for a matter of minutes.
Find out more about switching provider with our one-stop guide.