With over 10 million customers, Sky is one of the most popular TV subscription providers in the UK. But it also does competitive broadband and phone deals, too. Here’s how to get them
What can I get from Sky Broadband?
- Sky Broadband Essential - 11Mbps average broadband speed, with no download limit. Suitable for homes with one or two occupants and light internet users.
- Sky Broadband Superfast- A fibre optic package with 59Mbps average broadband speed and no download limit. This package is ideal for streaming video and music, gaming, and large households with lots of people connected at the same time.
- Sky Broadband Ultrafast - Sky's premium service with average speeds of 145Mbps. The catch is that only available in certain areas. At the time of writing, only 10% of UK properties can get Sky Ultrafast.
All Sky broadband deals come with a landline, as well as pay as you talk calls as standard.
However, if you use your landline a lot or need it make international calls, you can upgrade to Sky Talk Evenings and Weekends Extra, Anytime Extra, or International Extra.
Sky offers a range of TV bundles too, which combine broadband with movie channels, Sky Sports channels or Netflix.
Sky Broadband Boost add-on
For a few extra £5 per month, Sky Broadband Superfast, Ultrafast and Essential customers can also sign up for Sky's Broadband Boost add-on.
This lets you manage your family's internet time and even pause the internet from your phone, using the Broadband Buddy app.
Broadband Boost subscribers also get its latest Sky Hub router and benefit from Sky's WiFi Guarantee, which guarantees you a Wifi speed of at least 3Mbps in every room of your house.
Sky will also fix any broadband issues, provider flexible engineer visits on both evenings and weekends, and provide 2GB of mobile data in your Sky Mobile account if your broadband cuts out.
Sky Hub routers
Sky broadband and home phone packages come with one of two routers: the older Sky Hub or the Sky Hub 2019.
The latter is faster and offers a wider range, faster speeds and is compatible with the Sky Broadband Buddy app.
To get the new version of the Hub, you'll need to sign up for Sky Ultrafast. Or sign up for the Broadband Boost add-on when you take an Essential or Superfast package.
The older Sky Hub has good range, as well as a lower-power mode that kicks when it's not in use to keep your energy bills down.
Like a lot of modern, high-tech routers, it's equipped with ‘smart-signal’ technology, meaning it’ll scan for interference in your home and select the best Wi-Fi channel.
It also comes with Sky Broadband Shield. This will block websites at a network level, such as ones known to contain malware or phishing.
Sky Broadband gives you a free trial of McAfee Security Centre too. It lasts 12 months - but remember to cancel it when the trial is up, or you’ll be charged £3 per month from thereon in.
The Sky Hub 2019 offers everything that the older Hub has, but provides a much wider-ranging, stronger signal and comes with the Sky WiFi guarantee that ensures you get a decent signal and minimum speed of 3Mbps throughout the home.
The newer Hub is also compatible with the Broadband Buddy app that allows parents much greater control over their children's viewing habits.
To find out if Sky is available where you are, use our postcode checker and take a look at your options.
Sky free Wifi
Any Sky broadband subscription gives you access to free Wi-Fi through The Cloud at public hotspots too, on up to six devices.
Usage is totally unlimited, won’t cost you anything extra, and there are thousands of hotspots scattered all over the UK.
And if you’ve got the Sky Go app, you can hook up to The Cloud and watch TV when you’re out and about.
What’s good about Sky Broadband?
- With decent average broadband speeds of 59Mbps, Sky's fibre packages are perfect for streaming TV and movies and gaming
- Sky's Broadband Buddy parental controls app is one the best around
- Wifi Guarantee, available with the Boost add-on, is well worth the outlay for larger homes
- Fibre and standard broadband is widely available throughout the UK
- Better than average customer service record, according to Ofcom
- Option to bundle with Sky TV
- Free access to public Wi-Fi hotspots all around the country
- Includes Sky Broadband Shield and a McAfee free trial to keep your devices safe
- Sky Hub smart router automatically detects and adjusts for interference to keep Wi-Fi connection stable
- Sky VIP scheme rewards long-term customers with priority visits from engineers, free set top box upgrades and cinema tickets
What’s bad about Sky Broadband?
- Not the fastest broadband around - can get faster speeds from the likes of Hyperoptic and Virgin Media
- No broadband-only packages
- Ultrafast fibre service is only available in select locations. Use our postcode checker to find out if you can get it
- Broadband Boost has some great features, but it's a shame it costs extra
Our latest Sky broadband deals
What else can I get from Sky?
Remember that you can bundle your Sky broadband with the provider's other services - such as TV and a calls package.
Read more about what you can get and compare deals with our guides: